25 Startup Law Resources

The following is a list of 25 legal websites, blogs, and articles related to startup company legal issues. Even though this site is listed first, the list is not intended to be a ranking by any means. And as a blanket provision, none of the sites or articles represented by the following links are intending to provide you with legal advice.

1. The Startup Lawyer. <--You are here.
2. Important Questions Startup Co-Founders Should Ask Each Other. Article by Dharmesh Shah at onstartups.com
3. Startup Company Lawyer. Startup law blog written by Yokum Tatu, partner at WSGR.
4. Term Sheet Series. Classic series on term sheets written by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson.
5. Model Series A Docs. A “template” set of model legal documents by the National Venture Capital Association.
6. Q&A: Small Business and the SEC. A guide to help you understand how to raise capital and comply with the federal securities laws.
7. The Option Pool Shuffle. Article by Venture Hacks about the need to keep your eye on the option pool while negotiating valuation.
8. WSGR Term Sheet Generator. Tool by WSGR that will generate a venture financing term sheet.
9. Start-Up Forms Library. Startup Legal forms by Orrick.
10. Orrick Term Sheet Creator. Founders, Bridge Financing, and Preferred Stock Term Sheets.
11. Emerging Enterprise Center Blog. Startup law blog by Foley Hoag.
12. Global Startup Blog. Global startup law blog by Reed Smith.
13. FINRA’s Broker Check. If you must use a broker to raise funds, make sure they are registered. (Check your state, too.)
14. Venture Law Lines. Canadian startup law blog.
15. Startup Company Law Blog. Startup law blog by Davis Wright Tremaine LLP.
16. How to Fund a Startup. Great Startup Essay by Paul Graham.
17. Startup Law 101. Written by George Grellas.
18. 5 Reasons Convertible Debt Sucks. Written by Furqan Nazeeri.
19. The Top Ten (Sixteen) Lies of Lawyers. Written by Guy Kawasaki.
20. Splitting the Pie: Founding Team Equity Splits. Written by Noam Wasserman.
21. Why you shouldn’t keep your startup idea secret. Written by Chris Dixon.
22. Making an IRS Section 83(b) Election. Detailed article on 83b elections written by David Naffziger.
23. Startup Tools (including calculators) from Fastignite.com
24. My High Tech Startup Startup law blog by Eric Koester of Cooley.
25. Entrepreneur Resource Headquarters by Morgan Lewis.

Tags: startup law

20 Responses to “25 Startup Law Resources”

1. Daniel Alexander December 7, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

Great Information. Keep up the good work. I posted this on my Facebook fan page "Out-House General Counsel." I also retweeted @dja2law

2. Daniel Alexander December 7, 2009 at 5:54 pm #

3. scott edward walker December 14, 2009 at 8:53 pm #

Great list – thanks. Hopefully, you can add my new blog at http://www.walkercorporatelaw.com/blog. I am the founder & CEO of Walker Corporate Law Group, a boutique corporate law firm specializing in the representation of entrepreneurs (with offices in LA, SF & DC). Cheers, Scott (@ScottEdWalker)

4. scott edward walker December 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

5. Lisa Nowak December 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm #

Exactly what I'm looking for! It was like you read my mind. Thanks for the tweet at exactly the right moment. While we're on the subject of law, what's your thoughts on PrePaid Legal for businesses? I've heard mixed reviews.

Lisa Nowak
    "Have you ever eaten an entire lemon?"

6. Lisa Nowak December 14, 2009 at 5:50 pm #

Lisa Nowak
    "Have you ever eaten an entire lemon?"

7. Ryan Roberts December 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Lisa – I wrote a post on pre-paid legal about 3 years ago:

"http://thestartuplawyer.com/startup-issues/start-a-legal-fund-instead-of-purchasing-pre-paid-legal&quot;

8. Ryan Roberts December 14, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

Lisa – I wrote a post on pre-paid legal about 3 years ago:

9. Yolanda December 14, 2009 at 11:12 pm #

This is a great resource. I will definitely re-tweet @yolandanichole and share on my FB fan page – YB Consulting!

10. Yolanda December 14, 2009 at 6:12 pm #

11. Yuki Chow December 14, 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Appreciate the list, a lot of my friends will benefit from this tremendously =)

12. Yuki Chow December 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

Appreciate the list, a lot of my friends will benefit from this tremendously =)

13. Lisa Nowak December 17, 2009 at 11:17 am #

Thanks Ryan! I appreciate your advice. I was hoping for a more indepth explanation between the services, but maybe it isnt necessary. It just seems like such a good deal. But I've learned that good deals can be too good to be true.

Thanks again,

Lisa

Lisa Nowak
    “Ever Flavor Tripped?”

14. Lisa Nowak December 17, 2009 at 6:17 am #

Thanks again,

Lisa

Lisa Nowak
    “Ever Flavor Tripped?”

1. The Legal Blotter » Blog Archive » Legal and law resources for startups and entrepreneurs | The … - January 11, 2010

[...] Legal and law resources for startups and entrepreneurs | th&#1… [...]

2. List of Legal Resources For Startups and Entrepreneurs - www.Korallenkacke.com - January 26, 2010

[...] Other Startup Law 101 Great Web Startup Lawyers 25 Startup Law Resource [...]

3. List of Legal Resources For Startups and Entrepreneurs « Thundernoise's Blog - March 10, 2010

[...] Startup Law 101 Great Web Startup Lawyers 25 Startup Law Resource [...]

4. Recursos y Herramientas Super Útiles para Emprendedores - September 1, 2011

[...] Wiki para Negocios 7 Recursos sobre Oportunidades de Inversión para Ideas de NegociosLista de 25  webs, bloga s, y artículos relacionados con el aspecto legal sobre NegociosSuscribirse a Sprouter [...]

5. The Perils Of Legal Self-Help Websites For Entrepreneurs - GROWGENIC : GROWGENIC - July 9, 2012

[...] Americans Back to Work (for Good), a book of 30+ proven solutions to help end youth unemployment. Courtroom in in . The Classical Revival courthouse was built in 1890, and is listed in the . (Photo…ed in the . (Photo credit: [...]

6. Startup Resources You Should Bookmark | Alltopstartups - April 5, 2013

[...] of 25 legal websites, blogs, and articles related to startup company legal [...]