According to the United States Department of Labor, reasons employers implement drug testing are to:
- Deter employees from abusing drugs and alcohol;
- Prevent hiring individuals who use illegal drugs;
- Provide early identification and referral of employees who have drug and/or alcohol problems;
- Provide a safe workplace for other employees;
- Ensure general public safety and instill consumer confidence that employees are working safely.
Private sector employers most likely have the right to test their employees, but it’s a very good idea to check up on local and state laws so that you can customize a program that can withstand legal challenges. Also, keep in mind that ensuring your drug testing program is legal is only half of the battle. The other half deals with the employee education side–which should be constructed to alleviate employee concerns.